Asphalt shingles are the most popular roofing option in the country because of their affordability, durability and flexibility. They have the potential to last for decades.
In this blog post, Summit Roofing & Restoration, Inc., one of the leading roofing companies in our local area, discusses the factors that can affect the weathering of asphalt shingles.
- Climate – Harsh climates and severe weather can reduce the lifespan of asphalt shingles. Thermal cycling, moisture and wind all contribute to the weathering and deterioration of roofing materials.
- Shingle Quality – Low-quality shingles will have a shorter lifespan than high-quality shingles. High-quality asphalt shingles are built with superior materials and workmanship, making them better suited to withstand wear and tear.
- Maintenance – Lack of maintenance can result in damage, deterioration and early roof failure. Regular maintenance is important because it can prevent small roof issues from turning into major roof leaks. As one of the top roofers in our area, we strongly recommend implementing a roof maintenance plan.
- Elevation and Roof Color – Taller homes are exposed to more UV rays, which can deteriorate the asphalt shingles on the roof. Darker colored shingles absorb more heat, which can shorten the roof’s lifespan.
- Ventilation – Poor roof ventilation will lead to heat build-up in the attic. The excess heat and moisture in the attic can then damage the shingles, reducing the roof’s lifespan. Poor ventilation can also lead to greater amounts of thermal cycling.
If you need help with roof replacement or storm damage restoration, then you’ve come to the right place. Summit Roofing & Restoration, Inc. works with some of the best professionals in the industry. Our company is known for our superior workmanship, great products and excellent customer service. We’re a GAF Master Elite® contractor, which means we are among the top 3% of all roofing contractors in the country. Call us at (901) 430-1974 to learn more about our services and products or to request an appointment.