Your roofing system is your first line of defense when it comes to inclement weather and other elements. It protects your home from heavy rainfall and hailstorms. However, since your roofing system is located in a very vulnerable position, it can be exposed to plenty of storm damage. Strong winds, for instance, can cause severe roof damage to your asphalt roof shingles.
Read on as local roofing contractor Summit Roofing & Restoration, Inc. explains the effects of wind damage on your asphalt shingles.
How Does Wind Interact With Your Asphalt Shingle Roof?
Wind does not always move in a steady, constant direction. In fact, wind moves randomly due to temperature and pressure differences in the Earth’s atmosphere as well as the variations in the land’s topography and terrain. Despite unpredictable wind patterns, the interaction between your asphalt shingle roof and wind resistance is more predictable.
When wind hits the sides of your home, it travels up to your roof and goes over with changing degrees of uplift pressure. Uplift pressure is highest at the eaves of your roof, making it particularly susceptible to wind damage. Once the wind travels across the roof surface, negative pressure, also called suction pressure, is created, lifting shingles off the roof deck. When this occurs, you may need a roof replacement, depending on the age of your roof.
What Are the Factors That Affect Wind Damage on Your Asphalt Shingles?
Many factors affect how wind can damage your roof. We list a few of them here:
- Roof Layout – If your roof has a higher slope with longer gable lines and wider eave overhangs, it may be more vulnerable to wind pressure.
- Location – Areas where high winds occur frequently such as seaside homes may be more susceptible to strong windstorms compared to those in the city.
- Quality of the Plywood Decking – Local generic plywood may not provide the best protection. As such, you may want to invest in quality material for your roof decking or sheathing that will survive wear and tear.
- Quality of the Nails – Like your plywood decking, be sure to consider top-quality nails, especially since the integrity of your asphalt shingles will depend on them.
- Roof Installation – Poor craftsmanship may lead to improperly sealed flashings or misaligned shingles, causing your roofing system to be more exposed to wind pressure.
If you are looking for a team of professionals to install your asphalt shingles, turn to the experts at Summit Roofing & Restoration, Inc. To ensure your roofing system can withstand extreme wind damage, we provide services such as roof repair. For Dyersburg residents, call us at (731) 589-7663; for Atoka residents, at (901) 430-1974; and for Paragould residents, at (870) 736-7663. You may also fill out our online contact form to book an appointment.